Instructions for Transfer
Third Party Transfer Forms should be turned into the APSO Domestic Violence Unit by making an appointment: 225-621-8364 / Monday-Friday 8-4:30 p.m.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TRANSFER
Pursuant to a court order, you are prohibited from possessing firearm(s). You must transfer any firearm(s) you possess to either a qualifying 3rd Party or the Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office (APSO). If you possess any concealed handgun permit this permit has been suspended. If you do not possess firearms or a concealed handgun permit you are still required to complete a Declaration of Non-Possession with the APSO.
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
DO NOT BRING FIREARMS INTO SHERIFF’S OFFICE BUILDINGS
1. If you do not possess a firearm(s) or a concealed handgun permit, and you have not already done so in court, you are ordered to report to the APSO Domestic Violence Unit located at 828 S. Irma Blvd., Gonzales, La. Monday-Friday (8:00am-4:30pm) to execute your Declaration of Non-Possession. APSO will provide this form to you. Be advised that you must have a copy of your court order and proof of identification.
*AGAIN, DO NOT BRING YOUR FIREARMS WITH YOU INTO THE OFFICE.*
2. If you DO possess a firearm(s) or a concealed handgun permit, you must be prepared to choose from the following transfer options:
- A. Third party transfer (possible fee) -The receiving 3rd party must not reside in the same home with you and cannot be a prohibited possessor. If a third party transfer option is chosen pursuant to state law, a Third Party Transfer and Acknowledgement form must be completed and provided to APSO. This form notifies the third party of the relevant state and federal laws and consequences for noncompliance.The Third Party Transfer form is available on the APSO website, www.ascensionsheriff.com. or at APSO Domestic Violence Unit. Bring your completed form to the APSO Domestic Violence Unit Monday-Friday (8:00am-4:30pm).
- B. Legal sale or donation with written proof of transaction.(Fee) Bring your completed form to the APSO Domestic Violence Unit Monday-Friday (8:00am-4:30pm).
- C. Transfer to APSO for safekeeping. (Fee)
3. If you choose Option C (to transfer to APSO), follow the procedures below:
- A. Call APSO (225) 621-8364 to make an appointment for the transfer. The Deputy will provide a location for the transfer.
- B. If possible, arrive alone at the designated location. Firearm(s) are to be UNLOADED and locked inside your vehicle (trunk if possible).
- C. Everyone must exit the vehicle with you; you must have your court order, proof of identification and keys.
- D. You are to remain outside the vehicle, until otherwise informed by the Deputy.
- E. Deputy will retrieve the firearm(s) from your vehicle.
- F. DO NOT RE-ENTER THE VEHICLE UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO.
- G. Upon completion of transfer you will receive a “Proof of Transfer” form from the Deputy. This form is required so proof that you have complied with the transfer order will be placed in court record. You will receive a receipt for the firearms.
- H. If you have a concealed handgun permit you must contact Louisiana State Police for the surrender. Proof of permit transfer must also be filed with APSO for Clerk’s record.